Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Random Thoughts on Hitachi and Construction Cranes

Looking outside of my window this morning, I noticed a construction crane with the label "Hitachi" on the side. I kind of chuckled at the notion that a company could provide Identity Management software and construction machinery at the same time. Being part of startups nearly my entire career, where focus and niche is everything, my narrow view of the world makes it difficult to comprehend that a company could do such vastly different things effectively. Then again, it's not the first time. Siemens has its foot in the Identity world, and makes hearing aids and dishwashers too.
Does laser focus in the startup world not apply to larger corporations? I'm sure there are a few dozen books on the topic...time to go find 'em.